Tuesday 30 September 2014

It's Time To ...

Good Morning!
I can't believe that tomorrow we are starting October already, this year has flown by! However this month is my favourite and not just because it's my birthday on Monday lol I love seeing Autumnal foliage coming through and the cooler days are a lot easier to cope with!
Back to today's post and it's about what I have done this week.

First up was finding some time to take some Penstemon Cuttings, just incase I lose some over the Winter, it's always good to have some back ups! I have a lovely deep purple and white Penstemon of which I have taken the cuttings from.



First off when taking Cuttings I like to prepare the pot they are going into first. I use a mix of Compost and Perlite for drainage then wet the compost.


I collected 4 cuttings just incase some of them fail.


Stripped them off their lower leaves, dipped into Rooting Powder and then placed down the side of the pot.
I will keep these over winter in my GH and hopefully I shall have some healthy plants for next year.



I also sowed a selection of seeds for next year, can you tell the colour theme?
I'm going for a mix of Reds & Pinks!


This year I thought I would try sowing the Sweet Pea's in Toilet Roll Tubes. Due to their depth they are recommended for Sweet Pea's so that they can develop a good root system, might aswell give it a try!



Lastly it was also time to compost the left over Tomato Plants which included my 3 TomTato Plants! I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the total amount of Potatoes from all 3 together, especially the size of a couple of them, but it's always worth trying something new.


However there was one Potato that caught my eye, don't you think he looks like a Whale! He even has an eye! lol ... I don't even think I can bring myself to eat him!


Thanks for popping by, what are you up to in the garden this week?
HAPPY GROWING!
XXX

2 comments:

  1. Great idea about using toilet roll middles. I'll try that, thanks. I had considered trying the tom tato plants bit don't think I will now. I planted Lucinda, Tomatoberry garden & sungold cherry this year. They all dogs very well - unlike the moneymaker which I only had 6 tomatoes from :-( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya hun, they're still worth a try but I wouldn't recommend paying the price they are, maybe if they reduced them to a few pounds as you can see you don't really get much of a Potato harvest lol
      It's funny how some varieties don't do too well compared to others, I've heard of a few of the larger varieties not performing too well this year.
      Fingers crossed next year will be better!
      xxx

      Delete